275 g / 10 oz / 1 ½ cups basmati rice
30 ml / 2 tbsp oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 green chilli, finely chopped
2.5cm / 1 in fresh ginger root, finely chopped
675 g / 1 ½ lb skinned chicken breast fillets, cut into 2.5cm/1 in cubes
45ml/3tbsp curry paste
1.5ml/ ¼ tsp salt
1.5ml/ ¼ tsp garam masala
3 tomatoes, cut into thin wedges
1.5ml/ ¼ tsp ground turmeric
2 bay leaves
4 green cardamom pods
1.5ml/ ¼ tsp safron strands
Tomato and Fresh Chilli Chutney, to serve
- Wash the rice in several changes of cold water. Put it in a bowl and let it soak for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy frying pan and fry the onions for 5-7 minutes until lightly brown. Add the garlic, chilli and ginger and fry for 2 minutes. Add the chicken and fry for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the curry paste, salt and garam masala and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato wedges and continue cooking for another 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 190 ºC / 375 ºF / Gas 5. Bring a pan of water to boil. Drain the rice and add it to the pan with the turmeric. Cook for 10 minutes. Drain the rice and toss together with the bay leaves, cardamom, cloves and saffron.
- Layer the rice and chicken in a shallow, ovenproof dish until all the mixture is used, finishing off with a layer of rice. Cover and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Serve with Tomato and Fresh Chilli Chutney.